OTHER SIDE OF MONA FANDEY


An exclusive interview with prison officer, Sergeant Azizah, hopes to dispel untrue interpretations and open up to Malaysians the true identity of the woman whom so many have come to fear.
The now 53-year-old woman revealed insights, which she felt was a sweet memory for her during the 30 years as a prison warden.
“I was on holiday at that time, but I had been earlier informed that Mona would be placed in the cell under my care in her last days. Her case was very much hyped about.
“I was terrified knowing I had to face Mona, I even asked for the ustaz to prepare some holy water.
“Mona’s last cell was the first in the row, which meant she would be the first person I had to pass through.
“On my first day back at work after my holidays, I heard a voice giving a ‘salam’ (greeting) the minute I walked in.
“I knew it came from Mona but I simply ignored her. Mona greeted me again the following days but I still ignored her.
“On the fourth day, I finally responded. Mona then told me she liked me the most among the other prison staff. When I asked her why? She said that it was intuition.
“Never did it cross my mind that a simple ‘salam’ would make me find a friend in Mona,” she claimed.
Azizah recalls how Mona was exceptionally fond of having conversations, and that there was never a dull moment in her company − telling stories about her children, ex-husband, her then husband, and sharing recipes among others.
She also shared that she was the only person that dared make eye contact with the woman who was often associated with 'dark powers', and that most staff would avoid tending to Mona fearing the ‘black magic’ she possesses.
Azizah (left) with Mona FandeyAzizah (left) with Mona Fandey“I call her ‘Aunty’ while she calls me ‘Miss Jah’. Believe it or not, Mona is actually a woman who consummates her prayers five times a day.
“That’s not all, she would not leave out the ‘sunat’ and ‘wirid’ prayers (optional prayers) and I hear her reciting the Quran on a daily basis, that even I personally feel impressed.
“I even asked her to recite the ‘wirid’ aloud just in case she recites it wrongly. I often hear Mona repeatedly saying ‘Subhanallah’ (Glorious is God).
“She is a very friendly woman who speaks politely and never once spoke ill of anyone. There were many prison staff who bad-mouthed Mona, yet she remained patient and positive, and never once retaliated.
“Mona loved sharing recipes with me. She said she likes putting ‘pandan’ leaves in her cooking because it would add a nice fragrant to the dishes. All I saw is a loving and sincere woman,” Azizah adds.
Azizah recollects stumbling upon articles in the newspapers of unbelievable stories about Mona − floating in her prison cell, reciting the first chapter of the surah in the Quran, Al-Fatihah (The Opener) in reverse, transporting herself out of her prison cell and on to Chow Kit street, among others.
To clarify these mystical stories, Azizah would ask Mona about the stories that she had read.
“I asked Mona to float as the report in the newspaper suggested she could do so. She would tell me ‘Are you crazy? I cannot make myself float!’
“I also asked her to recite the surah Al-Fatihah in reverse. She replied, ‘How is that possible when it is even difficult for me to say ‘Bismillah’ (In the Name of God) in reverse.’
“The most interesting part was when I asked if she really did transport herself to Chow Kit street, she answered: ‘Why would I go to Chow Kit if I could transport myself? I would rather go home and not live in a prison cell.’
“She was right for a fact. Why would anyone who possess powers to escape a prison cell go to Chow Kit street anyway?,” Azizah amusingly chuckled.
The Faithful Wife
Azizah turned silent for a moment before resuming her story. She then admits that there is a story behind the murder case that the public is not aware of, aside for maybe only those who were involved in the trial. 
She confesses that Mona had often convinced her about actual events that occurred on the day the politician was found murdered, which she found hard to believe, at first.
However, in due course Mona succeeded in proving to Azizah that she was not lying as the facts she laid out in prison were consistent with the ones she laid out in court. There were no aversions in her story, neither her facts. 
Mona was not the prime suspect in the murder trial but the third accused person (OKT3), while the real perpetrator of the case was Mona’s husband, Affandi (OKT1) and his personal assistant, Juraimi (OKT2).
In fact, on the day of the incident, Mona merely received instructions to pick flowers for the flower bath ritual of the victim.
Azizah went on to explain further details of the ritual that led to the tragic murder, which will not be disclosed with due respect to both families.
She described how Juraimi detailed the scene in court, and spoke of how Mona remained calm throughout the trial.
“Throughout the entire trial, Mona requested for only me to accompany her, and not the other officers.
“Because of this, my right hand was handcuffed with Mona’s left hand everywhere she went. Mona has pleaded not guilty in the murder trial and the court granted her release.
“But Mona had given an ultimatum should she be granted release, she pleaded for her husband, Affandi to also be released. And if he were to be hanged, she would rather share the same fate as him.
“Mona’s advocates had also persuaded her to accept the release, but she refused without the joint release. That was her choice.
“She chose to be with her husband. I witnessed how Mona was a very good wife who truly loved Affandi. To be honest, for as long as I took care of her in that cell, there was nothing bad about her.
I remember one story where the person who bathe Mona's corpse after her sentence said she did not find a single flaw on her body and that it was in excellent condition. Her body was clean and easy to manage,” she relayed the incident to us.
Azizah also recounts an interesting fact whereby Mona’s ex-husband, who also happens to be a policeman, never missed attending a single trial of his ex-wife, which led her to approach him.
His touching remark of Mona was: “Mona does not even have the heart to kill an ant. She even cries when weeding a fish, what more kill a man?”
Mona’s children who were always present in court, in support of their mother also claimed, they knew her best and who she truly was. Azizah said that proved how Mona was a good mother who succeeded in bringing up her children with high morals and values.
They remained faithful to their mother until her death sentence, and have swallowed every stigma the society had against her until this very day.
A wife who sacrificed her freedom for the love of her husband, Mona chose to be with Affandi till death did them part.

No comments:

Post a Comment